You can be sad, stressed out, angry, or feeling flat, and still, you can change your mood on the spot. Do you want to know how?
What I am about to teach you I have tried countless times before with my clients with great success and instant results.
The Look Of Bliss is an unorthodox method I developed to instantly create wellbeing, happiness, and bliss.
This specific technique – The Look Of Bliss – has nothing to do with affirmations, changing your belief system, or positive thinking. It is about using your body and DOING IT.
How We Create Moods
Let me explain first how this technique works in order for you to understand its connections and implications.
Please, recall a moment when you felt happy. Did you notice what your body was doing? How you were behaving? In general it works like this:
- You think of an idea that creates a consequent emotion, and the body responds to it,
- Or you have an emotion that prompts an idea, and the body responds in kind.
This is the normal way things work. Most self help approaches try to suggest that you change the way you think, or the way you feel, in order to change your mood.
The Look Of Bliss takes a different approach, it uses the body to change thinking and emotions. Let’s take a look at what your body does when happy.
What Does Your Body Do When You Are Happy?
In those situations one thing your body does is to have several reactions:
- There is a little contraction on your lips drawing a little smile. The muscles involved are the muscle on the corner of your lips
- There is a little contraction on your eye’s outside corner muscles, where the temples are
- You peripheral vision is turned on. You become aware of what is on your wide field of vision without concentration on specifics of it
There are other reactions but these are the main ones that concern us to understand and do The Look Of Bliss exercise.
The Kid That Discovered Bliss
I tapped into this technique when I was about 9 years old. One of the reasons that this technique was important to me was that my childhood was not the most happy one. I was sick most of the time, and having to endure a narcissistic controlling mother was not easy task.
My great escape from all these predicaments was when I was going on holiday during the whole month of August.
My father use to take me to a small bathing resort called Ericeira (now tremendously popular among surfers).
It was great having the whole month with no school, no homework, less control, and infinite time to play and swim. It felt like freedom. Freedom to be able to be happy, all the time.
While there, I began to notice that I could reproduce the state of intense happiness at will. I noticed that it was possible just by doing what I then called an “eye trick”. The basic idea was to focus my attention on a diffuse way of looking at things all around me. As long as I could maintain that way of looking at things I could feel happy and light inside. It was, and it is a delicious sensation to have.
Looking back at this early discovery, it doesn’t matter if I arrived to this technique by myself, or tapped into a memory from my prenatal distant past. What is important is that it works!
How The Look Of Bliss Works?
Many years later I realized that this special way of looking at things, the “eye trick”, was nothing but to turn on my peripheral vision. By doing this you are dilating your pupil which connects and triggers the parasympathetic nervous system.
The parasympathetic nervous system is responsible for relaxing, and in certain cases, the release of endorphins in the body. The endorphins are an internal opioid neuropeptide responsible for pain release, relaxation, and the sensation of ‘feeling good’.
So, when you voluntarily relax the pupil, and turn on the peripheral vision you are turning on all those body mechanisms.
Creating a Mood the Other Way Around
Instead of changing your thoughts, or your emotions to change the mood, you just have to turn on a bodily switch to change your whole mood, thoughts and emotions included.
What we do is to replicate what the body does when it is happy, and the rest will follow. With no further ado let’s do The Look Of Bliss technique.
The Look Of Bliss Technique
Your whole being is so used to this connection that reacts instantly and spontaneously. The body gives the kick start and the mind and emotions will follow. You are sending a message to your mind and emotions that you are feeling happy.
DISCLAIMER: Don’t do this exercise when you need your full attention, like driving, operating heavy machinery, or manipulation objects that may cause you harm.
- Pause your eyes on a point in front of you, without focusing attention on it;
- Without moving your eyes, become aware of all the things that you can perceive around you; all the things that are included in your peripheral field of vision;
- Try to widen the peripheral field of vision to the sides, including up and down. Expanding the peripheral field of vision. When you are doing this pay attention to the sensations you are having in your body. Some tingling sensations are common around the eyes, temples, or other parts of the body;
- Keep connected to the widening of the peripheral field of vision and resulting sensation, specially while you breathe in and out;
- Keep doing the exercise to your heart’s content.
Sounds easy? It is easy. Anyone can do it, at any place or time. You can even do it while being around people, they don’t even notice that you are doing it. What will happen is that you will start feeling different and react to others in a more peaceful and loving manner. This of course, will intensify the moment, and the connection you are creating with others.
Try it and enjoy it. Share this article with your friends and leave your comments below.